A mind is like a parachute
It might save your life,
but you have to know how to use it first.


Monday, September 26, 2011

So what the heck is the purpose of this blog?

This blog is intended as a place for me to get down some thoughts I've been pondering about the nature of perception and intelligence.  The hope is that if they take form in written sentences, I can begin to spot the central themes that are really interesting to me and maybe, if I'm lucky, start to organize these thoughts into something coherent.

But as I skipped around on blogger.com the other day I realized something.  Lots of people "think about thinking".  Or they claim to. I would argue that they "think they're thinking about thinking" but really they are just "thinking about what they think thinking is".  But what is the difference between what something really is and what I think it is?  Well, that, of course is the central question.  And if I "think" I'm going to answer it, then I'm delusional.  So, no, I can't answer that.  But I can think about it.

And that is the purpose of this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment